Game Concept Statement
In this 2D side-scrolling brawler game, the player will play the role of multiple characters with their own backstories, unique traits, weapons & abilities. The main goal of this game is to traverse this fantasy medieval world by jumping over environmental hazards and slashing against incoming enemies. In other words, they will face many challenges in the game which are designed to challenge their reflexes and get them to analyze the objects within the level
Seven Player Stories emerged through Gameplay Activities
- Playing as a Knight, I will use my “Rusty Sword” to hit the enemies to kill them.
- Playing as a Rogue, I will use my “Hermes Boots” to quickly reach the end of the level.
- As a player, I will use the character’s legs to walk through the level so I can win the game.
- As a player, I will use the character’s legs to walk under the platform to dodge enemies.
- As a player, I will use the character’s boots to jump on the platform to dodge enemies.
- As a player, I will use the character’s boots to jump over the spikes to avoid getting hurt.
- As a player, I use the “Harpy Helmet” to double jump over the enemy to avoid getting hurt.
Three Player Stories Associated with Player Experience Motivations for Gameplay
- Sally plays games that have a world with fantasy weapons and enemies. Player story 1 involves gameplay that has a melee combat system and similarly involves to align with the brawler mechanic with the weapons and abilities from the first sentence. This will tap into motivations such as competition and anticipation player experience aspects, which Sally seems to enjoy based on the games that she has played in the past; Warcraft 3 & PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds. Moreover, these two are considered to be competitive games.
- Sally plays games that have challenging dilemmas. Player story 4 to 7 involves gameplay that has spikes, pitfalls and enemies which similarly involves to align with the environment hazards and enemies mentioned in the first sentence. This will tap into motivations such as reflexes and analyzing player experience aspects, which Sally seems to enjoy based on the challenges she would have faced in her previous played games.
- Sally plays games that have clear game objectives. Player story 2 involves gameplay that includes goals for the player to complete which similarly involves to align with the main goal of this game that was explained in the first sentence. This will tap into motivation such as joy and surprise player experience aspects, which Sally seems to enjoyed based on the mobile games she has played before. For example, Pocket Planes’ main goal for the player to manage and grow the airports with the different planes so the planes can take the NPCs to other locations of the world, which in return gives cash to the player. In other words, Sally finds emotional player experience aspects in trying to complete the overall objective of the game.